To pin my projects to Pinterest, hover over the picture and a Pin-it Button will magically appear.

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Owl Bookmark and Sweet Saturday!

Happy Saturday, my dear friends! I hope your weekend is sunshiny and sparkly. :o)

I hesitated to share this bookmark with you today, only because I am disappointed with it. I don't say that often, as you know. The only part of this that came out as intended is the happy owl himself. I love him! My vision was to have him nestled amongst flower blossoms within a tree, as if he was snuggled up with the book the recipient will be reading. Instead, I fear it looks like I made him part peacock. Teehee! It was one of those projects that just didn't go as planned in most facets. But it's all I've had time to complete because I'm working on my Copic 'skills'... so that's taking up my limited crafting time. I'm determined to use them on a project this weekend, so we'll soon see if I've made any technical progress. ;)

One more thing before I share my bookmark and tasty treat! I got a gift from my super sweet boyfriend today. Guess what it is? A GYPSY!!!!! I cannot believe I have one! I wanted to faint. SO excited to learn how to use it! Oh the joy of not hand-cutting shaped cards any longer, plus a million other things! :o)

Here he is! Isn't he so cute? Even with peacock feathers, if that's what my mom thinks they are. ;)

One way to shake off a less-than-successful creativity session is to bake! My mom is absolutely crazy about snickerdoodle cookies, but I found something even better... Snickerdoodle Bundt Cake! Oh yes, it exists. It is truly fabulous and my mom fell in love with it.

The dark skies didn't help me here, but the gorgeous topping sparkles like a bottle of glitter. :o)

This legitimately tastes like a massive snickerdoodle cookie. While I love the cookies, I don't make them because the authentic recipes use shortening and I just *cannot* get myself to use it. So when I stumbled upon this recipe, the joy was palpable! The entire crust (even the bottom) is coated in a sparkling cinnamon-sugar mixture, giving it a lovely crunch. (And it is SO sparkly.) The cake is perfectly moist, with a cinnamon-sugar band that is both lovely and delicious. This comes together so simply (and my-oh-my, is the batter ever tasty) and I will certainly be making this again soon. My entire family loved it, from pre-teen to 70! :o)

Note: The recipe as stated uses a 9-inch Bundt pan, but I only have the large 12-cup, 10-inch capacity pan. I took it out a few minutes earlier than the minimum bake time, and it was perfect. Now go make this cake! (Recipe just a smidgen below!)

Before I flutter off, I want to show you something... take a peek at this adorable badge:

That's right! The wonderful Whimsical Wednesday Design Team is having a Halloween Blog Hop! It's never too early to be excited about something, right? I'm anxious to see what everyone comes up with for the fun event. :o)

Have a beautiful day, my sweet friends! Thank you for taking a moment to visit :o)

Snickerdoodle Bundt Cake

Ingredients:
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 cup white sugar

2½ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon Kosher salt
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup white sugar
1 cup light brown sugar
3 eggs, at room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup full-fat sour cream, at room temperature

Directions:
In a small bowl, combine 1 cup of sugar and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon. Mix together really well and preheat oven to 325ยบ F. Generously spray a 9-inch Bundt pan with Pam with Flour, being careful to cover all nooks and crannies, as well as the center tube. (Alternatively, grease the pan with shortening.) Gently dust the entire inside of the pan with the sugar and cinnamon mixture. You should only need about ¼ to ½ cup of the mixture, but be sure to evenly coat the inside surface of the pan, including the tube. Save the remaining cinnamon-sugar mixture and set everything aside.

Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.

In a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat just the butter on medium speed for one full minute. Add the white sugar and mix for 3 minutes, until light and fluffy. Scrape down the bowl and blade, then add the brown sugar.

Mix for 2 minutes until the mixture is light brown and uniform in color. Add the eggs one at a time, beating each for one full minute. Stir in the vanilla. Add the flour mixture alternately with the sour cream; beat well.

Spread half of the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle ¼ to ⅓ of a cup of the cinnamon- sugar mixture over the top. Spread the rest of the batter into the pan and sprinkle any remaining cinnamon-sugar mixture over the top. (If you run out of the mixture, simply mix together ¼ cup of sugar + ½ teaspoon of cinnamon for the top of the cake.)

Bake in the preheated oven for 55 to 65 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack to cool completely.



Key Recipe Components (for bookmark):
 * Cricut cartridge: Cindy Loo
 * Paper: Core'dinations, Papertrey Ink, stash
 * Ribbon: Essentials
 * Miscellaneous: Heart punch, K and Company die-cut flower (I traced one onto the main paper to double it up)

Photobucket

15 comments:

  1. This is beautiful! Congrats on your gypsy! You will love it. It's hard for me to use my cricut without it now. There are some great tutorials out there and will have you using it like a pro in no time:)

    Candace
    mypassion4scrappin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh jealous!! A Gypsy?!?! What a sweet boyfriend you have! I don't have one yet but it's on my wish list!

    Your cake looks SUPER yummy!!

    Amy E.
    scrapthissavethat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. SNICKERDOODLE?!?!?! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

    GASP! I was SO not expecting it to be Snickerdoodle! You sneaky little thingy you! *squishers you madly* OMJ! Do you know how badly I need a piece of your amazing creation sis?!?! I can literally smell how incredible it smells right through my compy. Tee hee. Gosh sis...the sparklie topping is just soooooooo stunning. This would make for a fab holiday dessert too wouldn't it cause of how pretty it shines. SQUEEE! Soooooo crazy proud of you!!!

    And OMJ!!! You got a Gypsy?!?!?!?! Nooooooo wayyyyyy!!! *faints* Did you squee when you first opened it Sunshine? Have you tried it out yet? *hugglers you tons* I am SO coming over to play with it too sis. You'll teach me how to use it right? AHHHHHHH!!! Such a happy happy weekend!!!

    I LOVE YOU SUNSHINE!!!

    P.S. You are making me a pumpkin card for the Halloween blog hop right sis? *demands one* TEE HEE! *helps you pick out sparklie orange paper* SQUEEE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Karen! I use my Gypsy on every single project (you are going to love it)! :) I love your bookmark, my sister is in love with owls... I also really want to try making this recipe! It looks amazing, and I bet the house smells fantastic while it bakes! :)
    Amy
    redheadedcrafter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your bookmark is so cute! You chose such pretty colors. Congrats on your new Gypsy. You are going to LOVE it!! Your cake looks delicious! :)

    Karen
    craftedwithlovebykaren.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen your book mark is adorable!! I have always loved that particular owl cut. Love the way the brown and blue look together too:) OMG...now I want a snickerdoole! I need to run up into the cabinet and see if we have anything sw3eet and scruptious:) I am glad you are excited for the hop! I can't wait for the hop and to see all the great things everyone comes up with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your bookmark is fabulous. Love the color combination & that owl. So great! Now that cake...out of this world delicious looking. I am sure it will taste even better.
    TFS!!!
    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Sweet Saturday, how I love thee!!! I am making this cake tomorrow. My husband actually came over to read the recipe when I said the name. My Luke said: "Thanks mom, for making something with such a funny name." This cake just works for us on so many levels. :)

    Your bookmark is adorable. I LOVE that little owl. And for the record, he looks nothing like a peacock. He looks like a super-smart, reliable fellow who will hold your place in a book while you craft. Like I said, I love him. :)

    A GYPSY!!!!!! WOOT! WOOT! Your boyfriend gets a HIGH-FIVE from Nita! Oh, you are going to LOVE it, my friend! I can hardly wait to see all the wonderful things you create with it! So much fun! :) :) :)

    Hugs, Nita

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Karen, great bookmark and congrats on your Gypsy...don't be like me and just let it collect dust-lol. Great job! ~Shen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Karen, you are too funny! I think the bookmark turned out so cute! The owl is adorable and he does not look like a peacock, LOL! But, I do know the feeling you have that it wasn't what you were envisioning. But rest assured, we love it! Now, I have to share that we love snickerdoodle cookies, so this will be joining my "to bake" file! Thank you for sharing! And CONGRATULATIONS on your Gypsy, your boyfriend is amazing! Not only does he listen to Christmas music with you, but he is very perceptive to your crafting needs, which is very impressive! Do you follow creationswithchristina.com? She has the absolute BEST Gypsy tutorials. I will send you the links. This is how I learned to use my Gypsy and you will wonder how you ever got along without it! Hugs my friend! Sabrina

    ReplyDelete
  11. Karen you silly girl! The owl is so pretty, and the bookmark is beautiful. That cake looks really good too! I have an award to share with you on my blog too! Hugs, Pam at http://craftycards4u2.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Karen,AWESOME job with your SWEET bookmark!I just LOVE your little owl,TO CUTE!And your cake looks really YUMMY:)SUPER job as always my friend!:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your owl book mark! He is super adorable (I don't think e looks like a peacock at all) and I love the colors you chose :) Yea for the Gypsy! You will love it and wonder how you ever lived without it. I've only had mine a few months and I adore it. It makes things super easy! Great job as always!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so ADORABLE, Karen!! I absolutely love it! He does not look like a peacock (that made me laugh!) The colors are just beautiful together! Whoever gets this awesome bookmark will be SOOO happy! And YAY your awesome boyfriend! How exciting! I love my Gypsy!! I had to get a DVD from Above Rubies Studio before I really knew how to work it, though! And wow, does this snickerdoodle cake look delicious! I LOVE sweet Saturdays, even if I do gain ten pounds just stopping by :D I hope you have a wonderful week my sweet friend and I can't wait to see your copic projects! :)

    Lisa
    http://indymermaid.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Super cute bookmark!! Love the colors you used and that owl is just adorable! Congrats on getting a gypsy~your gonna love it!! What a wonderful boyfriend...

    Now onto the snicker doodle bundt cake. Really??? I love snicker doodle cookies~I am SO making this over the wknd:) YUMMY!! Thanks for the recipe...no calories, right? LOL
    Thanks for sharing:)
    Sherrie K
    http://aherriescraps.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love! Have a beautifully blessed day. :o)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips